In August, I was tasked with developing HIV/AIDS and Gender policies for both MUSCCO and the SACCOs and helping to mainstream both of these issues within the organizations. As much as I complained about not feeling like I was doing a lot and being less than overworked, I still feel like I achieved the broad goals of policy development and capacity building. As for major changes in gender equality and the decreasing impacts of HIV/AIDS in MUSCCO and the SACCOs, it is difficult to say after such a short time whether much actual change has happened, but the groundwork has been laid, I feel and we have two policies to guide the organizations on the right track in the future.
It felt quite nice yesterday to wrap everything up – documents and a CD for the next intern - quite literally in a neat little package on Dickson’s desk. Hopefully this work will continue on as I have been assured that it will be. MUSCCO does seem quite committed to this whole process and that in and of itself is a motivating accomplishment.
MUSCCO held a Farewell Party for me last Friday evening after work. I was really touched by the fact that everyone came out, and that everyone had such nice things to say. Those who I talked to daily on g-chat and facebook may chuckle when I say that I was commended for my motivation and work ethic, but, lets just call it efficient multi-tasking I was given a very sweet card signed my everyone, and a couple of little gifts to remind me of Malawi. The highlight of the evening for my MUSCCO coworkers was most likely when I attempted to give a thank-you speech in Chichewa. Triza helped me write out something and I pretty much just read off my paper but I think the effort was much appreciated, and if not, at least good for a laugh on all sides.
I now find my self unemployed, or as I like to say on “Extended Holiday”. I have another month in Malawi to travel around, and I’m sure will be posting more about my adventures in the coming weeks. Not major plan job-wise for my return but I’m optimistic, even if I am kidding myself that a job will fall into my lap. The exciting thing about not having a plan is that it means that anything can happen. The world is open to any number of possibilities. This is just the beginning.
Ndinali ndi nthawi yabwino ku MUSCCO ndi Malawi yonse. Ndikufuna kunena Zikomo podilandira.

1 comment:
There's no such thing as unemployment, just consulting! ;) Hope the rest of your travels go well!
Post a Comment