Back to the market. There is a huge used clothing market in Lilongwe where the cast-offs of church bazaars and Value Village come to rest. Amazingly, some times you can actually find some good stuff, but you have to be willing to work hard. Everything is arranged so that you have a stall of skirts, a stall of jeans, a stall of bed sheets and even a stall of ties! There is also a whole area devoted to used shoes. Once I walked in there and it was obvious I was in the market for running shoes, I had the most dedicated 10 men at my service! Running this way and that way, bringing shoes and holding them for me to slip my feet into - I felt I like was in Pretty Woman in the scene where she goes shopping and has all the people waiting on her (not of course, the scene where she goes shopping and they think she’s a prostitute). It could have been quite hectic, if not for the fact that it was kind of funny because no shoe seemed to fit! I finally found a pair – not too used looking, not too ugly and not too big or small. Now it comes to the bargaining: The guy started at 7500 kwatcha ($55). My reaction? “but they are USED shoes!” I give him credit though – always start high in the hopes that some chump will pay it. I ended up paying 3500 kwa (“maximum price!”) and he was probably still laughing all the way to the bank...
"But they are USED shoes!"
As a side note, I should add that I should have factored the cost of super glue into the price of my new used shoes. After about an hour of Ultimate Frisbee, the sole started falling off... Is it true that you get what you pay for? I think I might have gotten less

3 comments:
Great post Anna! Sorry to hear about the shoes falling apart. I'm waiting for the entry "Anna Buys Superglue at the Market."
hilarious!
That's priceless, definitely made waking up to buildings and not mountains alot easier this morning!
Post a Comment